12.08.2008

bone-eee-vair

I don't know if it's the winter weather setting in, or what, but lately I can't stop listening to Bon Iver. I fell for the music the first time I heard it last winter on a random internet music search, and I continue to fall more in love with the it every time I listen. I found this really great interview where Justin, the head honcho, tells the story of how the album came to be. The skinny of it is that he spent three months in a secluded Wisconsin cabin, as sort of a starting over moment in his life. He wasn't trying to make an album, but he was making music, and his main objective was to write heart to paper, instead of the normal heart to head to paper. I think that's why the music seems so honest and continues to be mysterious even after practically being on repeat for me. Anyway, I really connected to the goals he seems to have for his music, and it gave me sort of a spiritual slash motivational revival for my own artistic practice.

Here's a link to some really great videos of the band playing in a small Paris apartment. Flume is especially fantastic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if you click to see the top 50 most played songs in my itunes, bon iver is numbers 2-12. i love his music and how the album was created. so good.