6.18.2008

dog + pony show

Alex has been out of town since Sunday morning, which has left me two nights to fend for myself. I never have liked sleeping alone - when we were kids I would crawl into my younger sister's bed any time I had a nightmare - and I like it even less now that I'm used to sleeping next to Alex on a nightly basis.

I battled through Monday night, ignoring the little sounds of would-be robbers trying to break in at every given opportunity. But last night I did not make it.

Around 5pm, right as I was feeding Roux there was a loud banging sound in the basement. Roux, who usually cannot be torn from her food dish, stopped eating and stood at the top of the stairs growling at the basement door. I was still trying to keep my cool and was planning to head right down there and check it out. But then the basement light was on. I KNOW I didn't leave it on. I haven't even been in the basement since Alex left. Long story short, I called the cops, they came, checked it out and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Still I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep, so I packed Roux up and we headed over to the refuge of Sam and Justin's house. Sam and Jus didn't get home until late, so I spent the evening watching their Bordie Collie puppy, Grady, and Roux tear around the yard. And I just so happened to have my camera with me.



I love watching Roux and Grady because Grady is maybe the only dog Roux has ever encountered who dishes her a good dose of her own medicine. I particularly love Roux's pained expression in this photo, like she can't believe how obnoxious it is to have a puppy attached to her face. NOW YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS, ROUX.




This morning I met Laurie (hunter/jumper trainer extroardinaire) and her daughter, Tyler up at the barn. Tyler rode Annick and jumped her for the first time. Despite the misfortune of falling off at one point, she really rode Annick beautifully. After the last jump they did, Annick did a whole lead change entirely on her own and my heart swelled with motherly pride. She is such a sweet little horse, and smart to boot. I am feeling, in the greater scheme of things, that selling her will be better for her too. Provided it's to the right home. Watching her with Tyler today confirmed that for me, so now the challenge is finding the perfect person for Annick.




No comments: