3.01.2008

playing a little catch up

Well, Claire, you have obviously been a blogger than I these last few days. You will have to forgive me. I am in love with your latest Roux photo shoot, and the idea of "the impossibility of retracing frolicking footsteps." The photos also make me a little homesick to be on Table Mountain with you and Roux at sunset (especially after you informed me to day that it was 70 degrees there.)

My mind has been consumed with the coming Spring. Every year it seems I make the same realization that I am a much more active, functioning, creative person as soon as Winter seems to be on its way out. As far as art goes I feel much more inspired, probably due to the fact that I spend significantly more time outside. Now that the ground is free of snow I have been running most mornings at this little park that sits between the railroad tracks and the river. The best part about it is that it feels like I am escaping the college and all the "Cougs" even though it is not far from campus. The regulars that I see most mornings are a group of three little old ladies dressed in huge coats with their hoods wrapped tightly around there heads (I don't think I have seen there faces, but they certainly are chatty with one another), an old man with a little black dog, and a few ravens and magpies. It's hard to crawl out of bed to get the run in early, but I am always thankful for my time there. I sometimes wish to live eternally in that bubble of time that is the end of Spring and the beginning of Summer, but like any other good thing, I'm sure it would loose its value if there were no struggle to get it.

My mind has also been consumed with our impending trip to Costa Rica. Like I mentioned on the phone the other day, I feel like we should concoct some sort of creative project for our time there. I don't know what that means yet, but my wheels are turning...

And, I have recently set my computer wallpaper to this photo of our Amazon bungalow from last summer. It's funny how my memories/fear of the night we stayed there are so opposite of this incredibly beautiful and peaceful image .
love, love

1 comment:

Claire said...

i love that amazonian photo, too. it's one of my favorites from the trip - which you're right, is ironic considering how UNpeaceful that night was...